Disadvantages of using Google Scholar:
- Google Scholar's coverage is is wide-ranging but not comprehensive. It can be a research source, but should not be the only source you use.
- Google Scholar does not provide the criteria for what makes its results "scholarly". Results are often vary in quality and it is up to the researcher to determine which of the results are suitable for their purposes.
- Google Scholar does not allow users to limit results to either peer reviewed or full text materials or by discipline.
- Google Scholar does not provide notice of when its materials are updated.
- Google Scholar's citation tracker can be difficult to use and inaccurate.