Simply put, an Author Identifier is a unique number to identify each author.
Why should you consider getting and using an author identifier?
- Bring together all your publications (for instance, you published as Jane Smith, Jane L. Smith, JL Smith, J Smith, etc.)
- Create an authoritative list of all your publications throughout your career
- Enable better discovery of your scholarly output
What administrative efficiencies do author identifiers offer?
- More accurately measure citations of individual papers or authors
- Easier evaluation of an author’s productivity and impact in his/her field
- Simplified data handling and richer cross-referencing are possible
There are three common Author Identifier systems available: