The purpose of Graduate 101 is to assist Graduate Students in learning the main tenets of advanced research. This guide will explain the necessary concepts.
Click the tabs of this box, which correspond to the tabs on this guide, to see what you will learn.
Ways you can access research resources through the many tools that ECU Libraries has available:
1) One Search
2) Classic Catalog
3) Database List
4) E-Journal/E-Book Portal
5) Citation Linker
1) Defining literature reviews
2) Steps in the research process
3) Best practices for finding the research you need for a literature review
a. Defining your topic
b. Gathering background information
c. Brainstorming keywords
d. Searching & evaluating resources
i. Controlled vocabulary and thesaurii
e. Writing your paper, thesis or dissertation & citing your sources
A reference guide of some of the search techniques you should use to find the resources you need.
1) Boolean operators (AND, OR, NOT)
2) Truncation (*)
3) Wildcard symbols (* and ?)
4) Quotation marks
1) Locating theses and dissertations at and outside of ECU.
a. Classic Catalog
b. Proquest Dissertations & Theses @ East Carolina University
c. The ScholarShip
d. Proquest Dissertations & Theses (PQDT)
e. Networked Digital Library of Theses and Dissertations
2) ECU's Dissertation and Thesis Formatting Manual (includes link to manual)
1) Various citation styles (with links to each style guide)
2) About the Refworks citation management software
a. What RefWorks is
b. How to create an account
c. How to use it with the ECU Libraries databases
d. How to create bibliographies, link articles, share an account, etc.
This page will give you a link to a Research Guide that has been developed for your discipline. This will give you subject-specific information about how to search for articles in databases in your discipline. You will want to bookmark the Research Guide.
Learn the definition of Scholarly Communication, as well as the components of it, including Open Access, copyright, the Institutional Repository, embargoes, and more.